http://jobs.berkeley.edu/, ID 14479
Application Review Date
The First Review Date for this job is: September 1, 2012
Located in the midst of the Mark Twain Papers in The Bancroft Library, the Mark Twain Project is editing and publishing a comprehensive scholarly edition of Mark Twain's writings, including all of his letters, notebooks, and unpublished manuscripts, as well as his well-known literary works. Since 2007 we have been building an electronic edition of these writings, http://www.marktwainproject.org, which draws upon the Web's strengths of search, organization, and display.
Researches, writes, and edits material as well as potentially develops digital tools for both print and Web publication, including critical editions, XML documents, and databases. In general, works with colleagues to ensure accuracy and completeness of individual scholarly volumes of Mark Twain’s letters, literary manuscripts, and published works, which are issued by the Mark Twain Project as printed books as well as electronically through its website, Mark Twain Project Online.
The ideal candidate has contributed successfully to digital humanities projects and is self-motivated to produce accurate work in collaboration with colleagues. Because of the nature of MTP's concerns, the candidate must have a deep understanding of textual criticism, including methodologies for establishing texts.
• Thorough knowledge of computer applications for publishing, image handling, and/or web production, especially XML-based workflows.
• Thorough interpersonal communications skills, including active listening and effective collaboration skills.
• Thorough analytical and critical thinking skills.
• Thorough research and fact verification skills.
• A master's degree in a related area (e.g. American literature, history) or equivalent research experience and training.
• Familiarity with library metadata.
• Experience with transcribing manuscripts.
• Experience with devising and running unit and system tests.
• A keen eye for proofreading and copy-editing.
• Ph.D. is preferred.
Salary & Benefits
Monthly: $4,250 - $6,308.33 Annual: $51,000 - $75,700
For information on the comprehensive benefits package offered by the University visit:
How to Apply
Please submit your cover letter and resume as a single attachment when applying.
Equal Employment Opportunity
The University of California, Berkeley is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer.