Bard College’s Experimental Humanities Initiative (http://eh.bard.edu) seeks a creative software developer to begin work in July 2015. This versatile developer will work closely with an interdisciplinary group of faculty and academic technology services and library staff to build and customize software applications for projects in the digital arts and humanities. The position requires expertise in web design & development, strong interpersonal skills, appreciation for the arts and humanities, and a passion for learning new things. Bard’s Experimental Humanities initiative is Bard’s liberal arts-driven answer to the Digital Humanities. It emphasizes both "new" media technologies and the reconsideration of "old" media in the study of what it means to be human, as well as the role of experimentation in humanistic scholarship, learning, and the arts. Experience with tools to support digital methodologies (e.g., archiving, data-driven text analysis, new media studies, software studies, interactive mapping) and/or interest to learn will be beneficial for this position.
- Bachelor's degree is required (computer or information science desirable);
- Knowledge of database-driven web development using PHP;
- Experience with Omeka and Wordpress preferred;
- Proficient using version control software (e.g., git, mercurial);
- Basic UNIX systems administration skills;
- Experience deploying and customizing open source software;
- Knowledge of web development standards, cross platform compatibility and accessibility;
- Ability and desire to communicate with technical and non-technical audiences and prepare project documentation to support training and best practices;
- Experience with mobile app development, design, or mapping/GIS software is desirable.
- Experience with IT in a higher education setting desirable.
To apply, please submit a cover letter, resume, three references, and samples of work through Interfolio.com at: http://apply.interfolio.com/29946
Bard College is an equal opportunity employer and welcomes application from individuals who contribute to its diversity.