This is an exciting Assoc. Director position in DesignLab, a digital composition center opening this coming year in College Library.
Please forward to lists and individuals who might be interested in applying.
Working title: DESIGNLAB ASSOCIATE DIRECTOR Official title: ADMIN PROGRAM SPEC(R07DN) OR ASSOC ADMIN PRGM SPEC(R07FN)PVL# 70851: http://www.ohr.wisc.edu/pvl/pv_070851.html
Degree and area of specialization: Masters in Art, Composition Studies, Communications, Design, Education, or comparable field, with specialization in digital media/IT. Minimum number of years and type of relevant work experience: The successful candidate will have 2 or more years of experience teaching and/or working in digital communication, digital media design and production, or in related areas; substantive administrative experience; and the ability to manage, mentor and evaluate a group of design consultants. Successful candidates must also have technical knowledge and know-how of computer and media hardware, as well as media production software; strong organizational and communication skills; individual initiative and the willingness to be a flexible team player; the personal, political, and interpersonal skills to work collaboratively with faculty, academic staff, teaching assistants, and undergraduate students; and a flexible schedule to accommodate some late afternoon and evening teaching and meetings. Finally, the candidate must be both detail-oriented and able to promote DesignLab's vision, mission, and services. Principal duties: The Associate Director will assist the Director of DesignLab, a digital composition center delivering services in the areas of research design, data design, media design, and experience design. DesignLab will focus primary on conceptual and aesthetic issues, rather than technical ones, and will integrate its services with other units, including DoIT's Software Training for Students, the Libraries, and the Writing Center. While the Director articulates DesignLab's vision and mission and nurtures its network of affiliated academic and service units, the Associate Director is responsible for its day-to-day operations, which include:
* Assist in the selection and hiring of TA consultants drawn from separate academic units across campus and building a design community around them
* Schedule and oversee the consultants' work with students
* Develop conceptual and aesthetic services around emerging scholarly genres
* Coordinate, develop and/or lead and deliver training workshops and materials to enable consultants to deliver these services
* Participate in the provision of consultation services
* Oversee budget expenditures and ensure that DesignLab stays within budget parameters
* Oversee the development and delivery of workshops and curricular materials to help instructors integrate emerging scholarly genres into their courses
* Build and maintain an archive of examples of emerging scholarly genres
* Present papers and lead workshops at regional and national media and composition conferences
* Liaise with other service groups, including the Libraries, Writing Center, and Software Training for Students in order to distinguish, highlight, and integrate their services with those of DesignLab
* Assess DesignLab services in conjunction with the Director and oversee appropriate record keeping
* Oversee publicity including web presence for the DesignLab
* Other duties as assigned Additional Information: This academic staff position is the Associate Director of DesignLab, an innovative, MIU-funded digital composition center to be located in College Library's Computer & Media Center. DesignLab will assist students and others working in such emerging scholarly genres as digital storytelling, multimedia presentations, podcasts, blogs, wikis, and graphic essays. This is a full time position during the school year but may be less during break periods. The Associate Director must manage day-to-day operations. A criminal background check will be conducted prior to hiring. A period of evaluation will be required *************************
|Appointment type:||Academic Staff|
|Full time salary rate:||Minimum $40,526 ANNUAL (12 months)
Depending on Qualifications
|Term:||This is a renewable appointment.|
|Appointment percent:||75% - 100%|
|Anticipated begin date:||AUGUST 22, 2011|
|Number of positions:||1|
TO ENSURE CONSIDERATION Application must be received by: JULY 15, 2011 HOW TO APPLY: This position is full time during the school year but may be less during break periods and will begin August 22, 2011. Applications should include a cover letter, CV, sample media work, a one-page summary, when available, of student evaluations of the applicants teaching, and a list of 3 references including name and contact information to be used only if the applicant becomes a finalist. All materials should be submitted electronically to: email@example.com. However, sample media work that is over 10MB should be uploaded to a file sharing site (such as Vimeo), and the appropriate link and any required passwords should be included with the other application materials.
Questions about the position may be directed to Professor Jon McKenzie, DesignLab Director, at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Deadline for applications: To ensure consideration applications must be received by July 15, 2011. Applications will continue to be reviewed until the position is filled.
Unless another application procedure has been specified above, please send resume and cover letter referring to Position Vacancy Listing #70851 to
|Patricia Erickson||Phone: 608-262-2768|
|728 State St||Fax: 608-265-2754|
|367 Memorial Library||Email: email@example.com|
|Madison, WI 53706-1418|
Relay Access (WTRS): 7-1-1 (out-of-state: TTY: 800.947.3529, STS: 800.833.7637) and above Phone number (See RELAY_SERVICE for further information. ) NOTE: Unless confidentiality is requested in writing, information regarding the names of applicants must be released upon request. Finalists cannot be gu aranteed confidentiality. UW-Madison is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer. We promote excellence through diversity and encourage all qualified individuals to apply.