Senior Manager, Education Content
WHAT YOU'LL DO
The Senior Manager of Education Content will be responsible for the overall production, quality, tracking, and workflow of all content (educator-facing ratings and reviews of digital media learning products -- apps, games, websites, web-based services -- as well as blog, articles, guides) that will be published online and distributed to partners. You'll manage and execute on an editorial calendar. You'll work with staff editors and a team of freelance reviewers to create high-quality, web-friendly, SEO-rich reviews that drive traffic to our platforms and provide real value for the audience. You'll also be responsible for managing several freelance reviewers, contribute to the department's overall editorial strategy, and author reviews, recommended lists, and additional content for educators.
KEY DECISION MAKING
The Senior Manager of Education Content will:
- Manage content production for an educator-facing website and the content therein, liaising with on-staff and external writers, editors, and reviewers
- Oversee the production and overall quality of educator-facing ratings and reviews of educational technology products (e.g., mangahigh.com, Quest Atlantis, Motion Math, Quizlet, Shakespeare in Bits, Minecraft, Class Dojo)
- Research, assign, and edit reviews of apps, games, or websites, as needed, and post them online or deliver to partners
- Manage current freelance reviewers and hire new ones when needed
- Recruit and manage certified educator reviewers
- Research and stay current with new trends in ed tech affecting teachers, kids, school systems, and families
- Track and maintain records of ratings and reviews and all other content
- Track and meet all content deliverables for Common Sense Media platforms and partners
- Coordinate with editorial staff to ensure timely reviews
- Decide learning ratings and other ratings in conjunction with other senior staff
- Interface with other editorial staff members to create articles about educational technologies and digital media for learning
- Write reviews, articles, blog posts, etc.
- Liaise with product and engineering teams to refine and build the review product and editor/reviewer content management/authoring tools
- With senior editorial team members, determine strategy for coverage of products for review (for educator platform)
- Embrace any brand messaging and brand changes and ensure perspective and editorial voice is accurately reflected in all editorial reviews for educators
- Provide constant oversight and training to ensure that editors and reviewers use learning guidelines and Common Sense educator-facing ratings accurately
- Continuously monitor and analyze web traffic and use that information to guide editors in the right direction regarding coverage and maximize traffic for the educator platform
- Inform senior director of high priority/high visibility reviews/content for the educator platform, highlight reviews worthy of special promotions
- Ensure that processes and policies are followed, including copy and style guidelines for the educator platform
- Support senior editorial staff members in the execution of the editorial calendar for educators
- Create recommended lists and thematic guides
- Populate our sites with (or deliver to partners) appropriate educator-facing content, as needed
- Contribute to editorial strategy
- Edit work of other staffers, as needed
WHAT WE NEED TO SEE ON YOUR RESUME
- Bachelor's degree required; graduate degree preferred
- Experience editing and managing content in an online publishing environment
- Excellent writing and editing skills (including copy editing proficiency); experience writing reviews or blogging about learning products
- Experience tracking and managing vast libraries of content
- Expertise creating and maintaining style guides and training writers on guidelines
- Familiarity with SEO best practices
- Experience liaising with product/production/technical/engineering teams to produce website content
- 5-10 years education/classroom experience -- teaching or working directly with kids or teachers
- Early adoption of technology & social media
- First-hand experience and knowledge about ed tech, digital media and learning, gaming, mobile apps
- Familiarity with the Common Core State Standards and other education metadata initiatives
- Proficient in Microsoft Excel and other spreadsheets
- Ability to communicate clearly and effectively
- Extremely keen attention to detail, strong organizational skills
- Proven ability to create content that's educator-facing, creative, peer-to-peer, informative, and SEO optimized
- Proven ability to work in a fast-paced, highly focused, highly productive environment
THE X FACTOR
You're a superb writer and editor with a creative bent and a finger on the pulse of what's current in the ed tech world. You're extremely organized with a keen eye for detail, and you enjoy sorting, tracking, and maintaining order. You are facile with managing large amounts of content data and get along with all different sorts of people, and you love being part of a hardworking but fun team of editors. You're the proverbial self-starter, you don't miss deadlines, and you know how to walk a mile in an educator's shoes.
Plus: You're the kind of person who delights in finding the best new digital tools for educators and kids. You have a phone/tablet full of apps and a compendium of educational websites. Teachers consider you a go-to source for practical advice on learning products that are good for the classroom. You've used educational technologies in your teaching, have a network of people who would love to write articles and reviews for you, and have experience managing reviewers or writers. This is a wonderful opportunity to really make a difference in the lives of educators and families as they search for great educational tools.
WHAT WE OFFER
The chance to work with talented, passionate professionals
A very competitive salary and a great benefits package
An organization that offers work/lifestyle balance
The opportunity to really make a difference in the lives of kids this generation and the next!
Common Sense Media values the diversity of its employees and is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Qualified candidates only, please send your resume as a Word attachment for immediate consideration to firstname.lastname@example.org.