Open Position: Tenure-track Assistant Professor
Department of Communication and Media Studies, Fordham University
Fordham University, The Jesuit University of New York, invites applications for a tenure-track Assistant Professor position in its Department of Communication and Media Studies, to start September 1, 2016. The position will be based at Fordham’s Lincoln Center campus in Manhattan. Applicants are sought in the area of multimedia journalism with research emphasis on media, race and ethnicity.
The ideal candidate will be a scholar-practitioner, prepared to apply historical and critical insights to the teaching of practical and theoretical multimedia journalism courses. Expertise in media, race and ethnicity, with a potential focus on alternative and advocacy journalism, social justice reporting, and related areas would be particularly welcome, as would research in bilingual media and multimedia scholarship related to the Global South. A robust research agenda, and solid understanding of journalistic standards, practices and ethics is required. Practical experience and ability to serve as an advisor to student media outlets highly desirable.
- Ph.D. in communication or a related area by June 30, 2016.
- Ability to teach a wide variety of practical courses and theoretical/critical
- courses on the undergraduate and Master's level in our new Public Media MA
- Solid grounding in contemporary journalistic challenges, standards, practices and ethics
- Teaching competency in a minimum of one multimedia production area;
- mobile and data-driven reporting strategies highly desired
- A strong publication record, and evidence of excellence in teaching
- Commitment to mentoring and advising students
- Practical experience preferred
- Ability to teach in Fordham’s interdisciplinary Latin American Studies Program a plus
Submit application electronically via INTERFOLIO apply.interfolio.com/31824
Include (1) a cover letter with qualifications, (2) curriculum vitae, (3) Up to three samples of scholarship, and (4) three letters of reference.
Deadline: October 20, 2015. For specific questions, please contact Claudia Rivera, Assistant to the Chair, at firstname.lastname@example.org.
The Department of Communication and Media Studies faculty represent a wide range of academic backgrounds, areas of scholarship, and professional interests. Serving a large number of undergraduate majors, the department offers programs in Fordham College at Rose Hill (Bronx), Fordham College at Lincoln Center (Manhattan), and the School of Professional and Continuing Studies. We are in the process of expanding our offerings at both the undergraduate and graduate level. Located in New York, Fordham is ideally situated for the study of media, benefiting from the city’s vast resources. For more information visit Fordham.edu/cms.
Fordham University is an independent, Catholic University in the Jesuit tradition that welcomes applications from men and women of all backgrounds. Fordham University is committed to excellence through diversity and welcomes candidates of all backgrounds; it is an equal opportunity employer.