The Department of Communication (http://communication.ucsd.edu) within the Division of Social Sciences at the University of California, San Diego invites applications for an Assistant Teaching Professor (Lecturer with Potential for Security of Employment) position with a specialization in media practices and production beginning July 1, 2019. Candidates must have an M.F.A or Ph.D. in communication, media studies, visual arts or a related field at the time of appointment.
The Assistant Teaching Professor (LPSOE) series parallels that of the more traditional, research-focused series, but with a emphasis on teaching and other instruction-related activities. Individuals in this series are expected to: offer up to six courses a year and provide consistently outstanding teaching; maintain a professional program and profile; provide educational leadership; and engage in committee service related to the pedagogical mission of the department and university. The appointment confers membership in the Academic Senate, and, contingent upon promotion, tenure-paralleling security of employment.
Preferred candidates will have an established media-based practice and be able to teach an array of traditional and/or new media studio-based courses as well as introductory media production courses. We also seek candidates who can contribute to instruction-related activities (e.g. conducting TA media training, developing curricula, creating instructional materials, implementing the use of new and/or hybrid technologies, etc.) at the campus, statewide and national level.
The department is committed to academic excellence and diversity within the faculty, staff, and student body. We are thus especially interested in candidates who have a desire to play a leadership role in advancing UC San Diego’s commitment to achieving excellence, diversity, and equity within an academic setting.
To ensure full consideration, all application materials must be submitted electronically by January 15, 2019, at the following link: https://apol-recruit.ucsd.edu/apply/JPF01930. Applications must include:
- A two to three page cover letter
- Teaching statement along with documentation of teaching excellence (e.g. links to instructional materials, syllabi, teaching evaluations, and sample syllabus for future course offerings)
- A statement of professional activities and creative practice
- Evidence/artifacts of creative/media-based practice (please provide links to no more than 3 of your most accomplished works/works-in-progress along with a brief explanation of your role in creating the work. If you are providing films or videos, please specify which 10 minute segment from each submission you would like the committee to view for evaluation).
- Statement detailing how your presence would contribute to diversity on our campus (see http://facultyexcellence.ucsd.edu/c2d for further information)
- Three letters of reference (that specifically assess pedagogical skills and competence, among other attributes)
Salary is commensurate with experience and based on University of California LSOE pay scales.
UCSD is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer with a strong institutional commitment to academic excellence and diversity and to addressing dual career issues (http://academicaffairs.ucsd.edu/aps/partneropp/). All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability, age, or protected veteran status.