University of California, Berkeley: Campus Online Education Coordinator #14582
Application Review Date
The First Review Date for this job is: October 3, 2012
The goal of the Berkeley Resource Center for Online Education (BRCOE) is to coordinate UC Berkeley’s online education efforts, ensuring that these efforts remain consistent with the campus’s academic enterprise, administrative resources, financial structure, and reputation. Under the guidance of its Executive Director, BRCOE is charged with developing a detailed strategic framework for the campus, overseeing the development of shared resources, disseminating best practices, creating an administrative infrastructure that provides consistent financial and legal expertise, and consulting with relevant campus groups. The Executive Director works in partnership with the academic director for the BRCOE and under the guidance of the Steering Committee for Online Education (SCOE) led by the Executive Vice Chancellor & Provost and Vice Chancellor-Administration & Finance and composed of several Deans, a Vice Provost, and the Academic Senate Chair.
This new, contract position will work under the guidance of the Executive Director of the Berkeley Resource Center for Online Education to assist in identifying and guiding the development of the organizational and operational resources necessary for Berkeley to successfully develop online offerings consistent with the University’s principle’s for online education; including:
• A commitment to access and excellence
• A focus on improving teaching quality
• Learning through experimentation
• Improving long-term financial sustainability
• A focus high demand certificate and degree programs, undergraduate gateway and hybrid courses that increase capacity and enrich on-campus learning, “public good” courses offered to the broader community, and the development and sale of online educational content.
Under the guidance of the Executive Director, the incumbent will work collaboratively with academic departments, central campus offices, and campus leadership to:
• Assist in defining and clarifying campus-level online strategy and priorities,
• Research, frame, and assist in the development of recommendations on key strategic, organizational and operational questions,
• Gather information on current and emerging internal and external developments in the online space
• Assist in development of implementation plans as needed to implement campus strategy and department specific Online Education Initiatives, and
• Facilitate development of department specific online offerings.
Additional key responsibilities include:
Provides expert support to Executive Director and Berkeley Resource Center for Online Education. Supports Executive Director in serving as the campus expert on online education: providing guidance, education, and policy development expertise to campus leadership. Provides expert support to Executive Director and works to:
• Participate in organizational, strategic planning and policy-making committees as appropriate.
• Anticipate future needs, challenges and opportunities and oversees market research and feasibility studies for new educational initiatives and self-supporting professional master’s degree programs.
• Recommend sustainable and scalable business models for generating new streams of revenue, including innovative continuing, professional, self-supporting, and undergraduate education programs.
• Ensure a close productive relationship by working in a highly effective and collaborative manner across the UC Berkeley campus and at all levels of the organization.
• Develop appropriate external alliances within and outside of the UC system to further departmental and organizational goals.
• Analyze, predict and advise constituencies regarding direction in the absence of clear external and internal practices.
• Collaborate and partner across the university at all organizational levels with a variety of academic colleges, schools, and departments; ladder-rank and adjunct faculty/instructors; academic deans/chairs/directors; administrative directors/CFOs; and technical and administrative staff to achieve programmatic goals.
• Develop infrastructure to leverage “best practices in online education” across campus
Under guidance of Executive Director, provides expert analysis of emerging strategic and operational issues.
• Assist departments in analysis of current educational needs, market research, and program development and delivery strategies.
• Develop survey of current and emerging internal and external initiatives.
• Conduct staffing needs assessment for implementing and scaling online programs.
• Research, document and share “best practices in online education.”
• Serve as key organizational analytical resource on cutting edge distance learning trends and advances in online learning
Conducts policy analysis
Identifies policy issues of importance to the Campus which frequently cross organizational lines and require research of state and national organizations; develops appropriate analytical and procedural framework for addressing the issues on the Campus. Recommends new policies and procedures as necessary.
• Demonstrated entrepreneurial mind-set with a track record of building and operating businesses in a non-profit education setting.
• Expert strategic thinking and analytical/problem solving skills
• Ability to coordinate large, complex efforts and to communicate effectively the status of projects to all stakeholders.
• Facility with financial models
• Demonstrated capacity to operate effectively within a complex university environment.
• Excellent interpersonal skills and experience in creating, building and sustaining organizational relations.
• Expert level knowledge of current trends in educational technology related to on-line and distance learning desired.
• Excellent written and oral communication skills.
• Advanced skills in all levels of project management.
• Ability to multi-task with demanding timeframes.
• Ability to use discretion and maintain all confidentiality.
• Bachelor's degree required
• Advance degree in related area preferred
Salary & Benefits: Salary is commensurate with experience. This is an 18-month contract position.
In addition to salary, the University offers a highly competitive benefits package including:
• Medical/Dental/Vision benefits program
• 13 paid holidays per calendar year
• Sick leave
• 18 to 24 vacation days per year
• UC Retirement Savings Program (pension)
• 403(b) and 457 deferred compensation plans
• Flexible spending accounts
• Employee Assistance Program
• Basic Life and AD&D Insurance
For information on the comprehensive benefits package offered by the University visit: http://atyourservice.ucop.edu/forms_pubs/misc/benefits_of_belonging.pdf
How to Apply: Please submit your cover letter and resume as a single attachment when applying.
Criminal Background Check: This position has been designated as sensitive and may require a Criminal Background Check. We reserve the right to make employment contingent upon successful completion of a Criminal Background Check.
Equal Employment Opportunity: The University of California, Berkeley is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer.