RESEARCH & INSTRUCTION LIBRARIAN
The Wardman Library at Whittier College seeks a Research & Instruction Librarian designs, develops and assesses the College’s information literacy program, including coordination of instruction for the first year writing program.
Reports To: Library Director
Location/Department: Whittier College (Main Campus)/Wardman Library
Position Status: Full-Time
Exempt/Non-Exempt Status: Exempt
Salary Range: $55,000 - $65,000. Salary will be commensurate with experience, skills and knowledge.
- Develops and coordinates web-based tools aimed to increase proficiency in library use and knowledge of library resources.
- Provides other librarians with information and materials useful to the effective teaching of research and library skills.
- Investigates and incorporates appropriate new trends in library instruction, reference services, information literacy and the use of learning spaces.
- Assists with Library sponsored events, including poetry readings, book signings, fall and spring finals activities for students, annual faculty tenure and promotion reception, and other outreach activities, as requested.
- Oversees the Library’s social media sites; keeping posts up-to-date and relevant for the student and faculty interests.
- Supervises the full-time Circulation/Interlibrary Loan position.
- Manages all aspects of the McNaughton Book leasing program.
- Coordinates and oversees interlibrary loan services, both borrowing and lending, using Link+, RapidILL, and OCLC ILL Service. Keeps current with latest ILL technology and collects use statistics.
- Responsible for the staffing and scheduling of the Information Desk.
- Coordinates the Library’s role in the peer mentor program, working closely with the CAAS and Writing Program staff. Is a co-instructor for the peer mentor classes.
- Demonstrates strong communication, teambuilding and customer service skills.
- Keeps current and capably assists users with the library’s technological services including but not limited to: PCs, Macs, printers, photocopiers, and related-printing software, scanners, digital microfilm reader and its software, learning software, general productivity applications, and learning management platform (Moodle).
- Oversees LibGuides and assists librarians in content.
- Works effectively with other librarians to build consensus about new directions in information literacy programming and its assessment.
- Collects and maintains statistics for interlibrary loan borrowing and lending and reference services.
- Responsible for collection development and acts as liaison in assigned subject areas and departments.
- Supervises and creates special projects for student workers and peer mentors.
- Participate in library wide initiative through committee work.
- Commitment to working in a culturally diverse environment.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Ability to work a flexible schedule one week night for Information Desk duties, as needed.
ALA-accredited MLIS or equivalent Library degree, 3+ years experience as a professional librarian, academic preferred.
Knowledge and Skills:
Experience as part of a Public Services team with knowledge and skills in searching print and web-based resources. Proven success supervising employees. Management of an information literacy program at an academic institution. Familiarity with interlibrary loan processes and procedures.
Application Deadline: Open Until Filled
The position is based in Whittier, California. To be considered for this position, please submit your cover letter, resume and salary history to: email@example.com or mail to Whittier College, Attn: Human Resources Manager, 13406 E Philadelphia Street Whittier, CA 90608. AA/AOE.