CHIEF LEARNING OFFICER/HEAD OF SCHOOL
Venture Academies is a new public charter school network based in Minneapolis with the mission of inspiring passionate, purposeful, college: and career:ready innovators and entrepreneurial leaders who imagine opportunities, take initiative, and create solutions. Beginning with its first school opening in Minneapolis in August 2013, Venture primarily will serve economically disadvantaged children and English learners. Venture is one of 13 winners of the national Next Generation Learning Challenges (NGLC) Wave IIIa competition funded by the Bill and Melinda Gates and William and Flora Hewlett foundations.
Venture Academies will be the nation’s first 6:12 whole school learning model intentionally designed to cultivate innovative, entrepreneurial leadership using a personalized, blended digital learning model aimed at accelerated college credit attainment for all students.
The Chief Learning Officer (CLO) will be the leader of Venture’s first school and will lead the development and implementation of the learning program at all network schools. The CLO is responsible for the success of Venture’s learning program and serves as a key member of the executive team and a leader of the organization.
The CLO role is an exciting opportunity for an innovative, entrepreneurial and results-oriented master educator to have a potentially national impact on student learning through the development, implementation, improvement and growth of a high-performance breakthrough school model that drives extraordinary learning progress for all students.
The CLO will lead the effort to develop Venture’s pioneering learning model. The CLO will serve as the founding head of the first Venture Academy school. He/she will drive and oversee: the continuous development of a coherent Venture learning program, culture and related practices across all content areas and learning levels. This includes playing a central role in the design, implementation and daily refinement of Venture’s learning model, and recruiting and coaching a team of master teachers, other educators and the heads of future Venture Academies schools.
Other areas of responsibility include:
- Develop and assess learning performance goals and long-term planning
- Ensure the effective and consistent delivery of the learning model across all network schools
- Design and implement assessment program, data analysis and related decision-making
- Coordinate the annual budgeting process for learning-related spending
Management and Staff Development
- Supervise all learning-related school staff members
- Create and implement a blended (digital/on-site) professional development program to increase the knowledge, skills, and practices needed to implement a high quality blended learning model
- Develop and implement an effective and consistent teacher assessment and evaluation program
- A demonstrated belief that all children can learn at high levels, regardless of entering ability
- A track record of providing passionate, purposeful, innovative and entrepreneurial leadership
- An evident commitment to continuous improvement and advancing both teaching and learning
- Superb communication and interpersonal skills, including writing, speaking and listening
- At least 3 years of secondary teaching experience with a track record of coaching struggling urban students to achieve dramatic learning growth classroom-wide.
- At least 2 years of secondary school leadership experience with a track record of coaching teachers to achieve school-wide learning growth and leading data:driven decision-making.
- Strong program development and evaluation skills with the ability to identify strengths and weaknesses in instructional and learning practice
- Significant experience designing and implementing teacher professional development programs and conducting classroom observations and evaluations
- Proven experience managing and leading teams of people to outstanding results
- Proven experience adapting pedagogy and learning programs in real-time
- Experience managing multiple, complex projects in a fast paced, entrepreneurial setting;
- Deep understanding of learning, instruction, curriculum, and formative assessment,
- Proficiency with technology preferred but not required.
- Spanish language skills preferred but not required.
Qualified candidates are invited to submit a resume and a cover letter. For more information, please contact Jon Bacal at email@example.com. The position is open until filled. Please send all materials to: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Venture Academies is committed to providing equal opportunity to all employees and applicants for employment in accordance with all applicable equal opportunity laws, directives and regulations of federal, state and local governing bodies or agencies. Venture Academies does not discriminate against any employee or applicant on the basis of race, color, creed, religion, national origin, sex, marital status, status with regard to public assistance, membership or activity in a local commission, disability, sexual orientation or age.
VENTURE ACADEMIES IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER