The University Libraries of Virginia Tech seeks a Data and Informatics Consultant for Art and Design to join a team offering critical and sophisticated new technology development services that enhance the scholarly and creative expression of faculty and graduate students.
The ideal candidates will have demonstrated web development and programming skills, knowledge of digital research and analytic methods in Art and Design fields, experience managing and interpreting common types of digital data and assets studied in those fields, and interest in creating innovative learning opportunities for students and faculty at Virginia Tech. Candidates should have an advanced degree in a computing field and/or an Arts and Design field combined with significant web development and programming experience.
The Data and Informatics Consultant for Art and Design will help researchers in Art and Design fields develop, document, annotate, manage, and sustain digital creative works and digital forms of scholarly expression across Virginia Tech units such as the School of Visual Arts; the School of Performing Arts; the Moss Center for the Arts; the Institute for Creativity, Arts, and Technology; and the arts community development initiative VTArtWorks (made possible by the Institute of Museum and Library Services [SP-02-15-0034-15]).
- Develops and modifies technologies and designs processes that facilitate data and information analysis, access, data discovery, data mining, data publishing, data management, data visualization/exploration, and preservation
- Serves as consultant to researchers on discipline-specific informatics tools and methods and in sustainable software/technology development; takes responsibility for understanding requirements, collecting data, delivering analysis and problem resolution; identifies, evaluates and recommends options; ensures that proposed solutions are properly understood and appropriately exploited
- Serves as a consultant to teaching faculty and teaching assistants on embedding digital research or computational methodologies into disciplinary courses; designs and delivers workshops/sessions on computational tools and techniques
- Keeps up with trends in digital research issues, methods, and tools in related disciplines
- Identifies data, digital scholarship, and digital library development referral opportunities; makes connections with research teams across campus
- Participates in teams and working groups and in various data-related projects and initiatives as a result of developments and changes in library services
- Master’s or other advanced degree in a computing field and/or an Arts and Design field combined with significant web development and programming experience.
- Experience with web development and/or programming (any language)
- Experience with, and knowledge of trends in, digital research tools and methods
- Thorough understanding of university research environments
- A service ethic and a desire to further the cause of university research
- Ability to work collaboratively in a team-based environment
- Demonstrated ability to handle multiple complex projects simultaneously, to set priorities, and to meet deadlines
- Good interpersonal and communication skills
- Master’s degree or other advanced degree in a computing field
- Experience, training or education in informatics, data analytics, data/text mining, or statistics
- Experience with digital research tools and methods in Art and Design
- Experience supporting interdisciplinary research projects
- Demonstrated commitment to collaboration and sharing of code
See more information and apply at https://listings.jobs.vt.edu/postings/63091