Call for Papers - The Journal of Information Systems Education (JISE)
Special Issue - Social Media: Computing Education Perspective in Diverse Educational Contexts
The Journal of Information Systems Education (JISE) invites submissions for a Special Issue titled “Social Media: Computing Education Perspective in Diverse Educational Contexts” expected to be published in late 2020.
The academic world has been experiencing a rapid growth in the adoption of social media that has the potential to constructively complement traditional education and even replace it in the cases of distance/online learning. Social media in computing education is used in many institutions for educational purposes in numerous innovative ways even to the extent of being utilized in traditional face-to-face classrooms. A wealth of academic research has been published related to social media in education, and the purpose of this special issue is to collect research studies of social media in computing education.
The aim of this special issue is to discuss research findings, share good practices and practical experiences, and addresss the challenges of using social media in computing education. The special issue will focus on how social media in computing education is being used to transform teaching and learning practices in various educational contexts and settings. Additionally, the special issue will cover a wide range of aspects related to the use of social media in computing education, such as adoption of social media in instructional activities, applicability of different social media tools in computing education, pedagogical frameworks, theoretical approaches, managerial perspectives, and possible ethical issues, etc.
For this special issue of JISE, we invite the submission of high-quality, innovative, and insightful articles. Topics include but are not limited to:
- Social media and social learning environments in computing education
- Effective teaching techniques and strategies using social media in computing education
- Games and game learning using social media in computing education
- Pedagogical frameworks for using social media in computing education purposes
- Different methodologies for integrating social media in computing education in diverse educational contexts
- Theoretical approaches to using social media in computing education
- Different tools and applications of social media in computing education for instructional use
- Ethical dilemmas and alternative solutions to instructor/learner relationships for using social media in computing education
- Motivation toward learning via social media in computing education
- Managerial issues of using social media in computing education
- Impact of social media in computing education on the current learning and teaching processes
- Evaluations of integrated social media in computing education for educational purposes
Papers for this special issue are due on September 1, 2019 (extensions considered on a case by case basis). Prospective authors are welcome to submit an abstract to the Guest Editors for preliminary feedback on the appropriateness of their planned manuscript. Please send your submissions in Microsoft Word format by email to: Vasileios Paliktzoglou. Papers should not exceed 7,000 words including all sections, figures, tables, and references. All papers will be blind peer reviewed and are subject to editing for journal style, clarity, organization, and space. Shorter teaching cases and experience reports (between 2,000 and 3,000 words) are also welcome.
Please refer to the JISE submission guidelines for additional information.
- Initial submissions due: September 1, 2019
- Notification to authors: December 1, 2019
- Revised papers due: March 1, 2020
- Publication of the issue: late 2020