Founded in 1848, Muhlenberg College is a highly selective, coeducational, residential college of liberal arts and sciences located in eastern Pennsylvania's picturesque Lehigh Valley. The campus is about one-hour north of Philadelphia, 90 minutes west of New York City and in close proximity to the Appalachian Trail. The College currently enrolls more than 2,200 full-time day students and has enjoyed steadily increasing selectivity and student quality. For more information about the College, visit our web site at http://www.muhlenberg.edu.
Instructional Design Consultant
This is an administrative management (exempt) full-time position under the direction of the Dean for Digital Learning. This position is focused on the design and development of online and hybrid courses for adult learners in the Wescoe School of Continuing Education. The Instructional Design Consultant will play an important role supporting the Wescoe School’s new initiatives in graduate education in traditional, online, and blended environments.
The Instructional Design Consultant is responsible for providing instructional support to faculty, and as a member of the Digital Learning Team will collaborate closely with faculty, staff in the Office of Information Technology, Trexler Library, and other campus units to develop innovative approaches for integrating technology in adult learning in online and blended learning environments. The position requires an agile learner, skilled designer, and effective collaborator to support a dynamic digital teaching and learning environment driven by recommendations from an institutional task force and the College Committee on Technology and Digital Learning. Successful applicants will have a grounding in adult education theory and critical pedagogical design as well as instructional design; demonstrated success with project management; strong communication skills; and broad fluency in educational technology and digital multimodal authoring tools. Experience as an adult learner is also valuable. The position is a full-time 12-month staff position.
To apply, candidates should include a letter of application, resume, contact information for three references, and a statement describing experiences with and commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusiveness. Please submit application materials as a single PDF document by October 19, 2018 through the College's application portal: https://muhlenberg.wd1.myworkdayjobs.com/MuhlenbergCareers/job/Walson/Instructional-Design-Consultant_R0000187
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Provide professional development in digital pedagogy, teaching and learning for the Wescoe School of Continuing Education
- Proactively consult with Wescoe School faculty to identify, select, and integrate appropriate technology to complement pedagogical approaches in diverse learning environments
- Actively promote Wescoe School faculty’s understanding and engagement of Digital Learning resources and best practices in integrating technology in traditional, blended, and online course design and teaching, via formal and informal trainings and one-on-one consultations
- Collaborate with Wescoe School faculty to design and implement assessments of pedagogical effectiveness and student learning outcomes of digital learning pedagogies based on careful analysis of their needs, objectives and interests
- Research new and emerging uses of digital resources and technologies and actively engage in scholarly conversations around ethical and effective digital pedagogies and technological innovation in adult education
- Organize and lead workshops to promote faculty competencies in digital learning, in collaboration with key offices and stakeholders
- Create and maintain resources on learning outcomes, activities, assessment, training, and workshops related to digital learning approaches in adult education
- Support various initiatives such as blended and online course design, ePortfolios, flipped classrooms and other active learning strategies that leverage instructional technologies in adult education
- Collaborate with other members of the Digital Learning Team to support current and future adult education initiatives
- When appropriate, participate in additional external professional development opportunities
- Other duties as assigned.
- Master’s degree
- Minimum of two years of related professional experience with instructional design, educational technology, or online learning
- Prior experience with design and development of online/hybrid courses for adult learning
- Experience working with faculty supporting the integration of instructional technologies
- Experience using Canvas, Zoom, VoiceThread, hypothes.is, and other remote collaboration tools
- Experience with screencasting and video editing software
- Knowledge of learning theory, adult cognitive development, pedagogical practices, learning resources, and course assessment methods
- Proven success aligning instructional design to disciplinary and institutional student learning goals
- Knowledge of accessibility technologies and understanding of ADA (Americans with Disabilities Act) and Section 504 guidelines and how they apply to online learning applications
- Familiarity with copyright and intellectual property guidelines for online course development
- Excellent verbal, written, interpersonal and organizational skills
- Ability to establish positive collaborative working relationships with diverse colleagues, students, and faculty with different levels of technical knowledge
Muhlenberg College is a selective liberal arts college of 2200 students with a strong tradition of excellence in undergraduate teaching. Muhlenberg is located in the diverse and vibrant urban environment of Allentown, PA, about 50 miles north of Philadelphia and 90 miles west of Manhattan.
An equal opportunity employer, Muhlenberg College is committed to recruiting and retaining outstanding faculty and staff from racial and ethnic groups that have been traditionally underrepresented in higher education. For additional information about Muhlenberg's commitment to diversity and inclusion, applicants can find the latest updates to the College's Diversity Strategic Plan at this link: http://www.muhlenberg.edu/main/aboutus/president/initiatives/diversityatmuhlenberg/.