Administrative Specialist, Futures Initiative and HASTAC@CUNY, The Graduate Center, CUNY
Job Title: Administrative Specialist - Futures Initiative & HASTAC @ CUNY
Job ID: 10666
Location: Graduate Center
Full/Part Time: Full-Time
Provides administrative and program support to an administrative or academic department.
- Oversees department operations and assists management in planning department activities, creating schedules, assigning staff and preparing and delivering department communications.
- Works with appropriate offices related to personnel recruitment, expediting search activities
- Research coordinates and organizes materials for key events such as promotion and tenure reviews.
- Supervises and trains support staff and student workers.
- Manages budget and coordinates purchasing, accounting, and payroll.
- Provides instructions and basic advice to students, faculty, and others seeking information on department activities, policies, and schedules.
- Performs related duties as assigned.
Job Title Name: Administrative Specialist
Higher Education Assistant
CAMPUS SPECIFIC INFORMATION
The Graduate Center of the City University of New York (CUNY), a doctorate-granting institution of CUNY, is devoted to advancing original research and training graduate students in over 31 fields in the humanities, social sciences, and sciences. A central administrative hub of HASTAC is moving from Duke University to the Graduate Center's Office of Futures Initiatives.
The Futures Initiative includes ongoing faculty and graduate student development seminars, a competitive Faculty Fellows and Graduate Fellows program, town halls, conferences and un-conferences, collaborative pedagogical and research experiments, and explorations into new modes of assessment and credentialing for all fields, disciplines, and inter-disciplines. HASTAC (Humanities, Arts, Science, and Technology Alliance and Collaboratory) is a 13,000+ member international online network co-founded by Professor Cathy Davidson whose mission is "Changing the Way We Teach and Learn. "
Reporting to the Deputy Director, the Administrative Specialist will perform a wide variety of administrative, financial, and technical responsibilities that as it relates to the Director's professorial role and in her roles as Director of the Futures Initiative, HASTAC, National Humanities Council member, Mozilla Board member, and Co-Director of the MacArthur Foundation/Gates Foundation Digital Media and Learning Competition. Must maintain highest degree of professional and government confidentiality in an extraordinarily complex position with multiple roles and numerous virtual international partners as well as onsite collaborative partners and programs. The position entails managing all correspondence (100+ emails per day), agendas, budgets, grants, meetings and appointments, travel arrangements, calendar, compliance rules, confidential files, and special requests for the Director
Responsibilities for the Administrative Specialist include, but are not limited to:
- Communicate and facilitate confidential communication and liaison with government representatives, including in the Director's absence, maintaining all legal privacy, security, and conflict of interest practices and protocols.
- Act as the Director's representative and ambassador to external constituents. Make responsible decisions within specified guidelines in her absence or as directed in her absence. Facilitate communication and maintain liaison with Graduate Center faculty and Graduate Center leadership as necessary and with various national partners and federal agencies as necessary in a timely and efficient manner.
- Manage all speaking engagements and appearances, including scheduling appearances, making necessary travel arrangements, coordinating all logistics, managing communications, conducting research, preparing speeches, presentation and talking points for an array of topics that represent the breadth of the Director's research, activities, and roles.
- Monitor and maintain the Director's budget, including budget reconciliation and reporting, and, working with appropriate staff, assist in oversight of grant budgets for which Director is the Primary Investigator.
- Plan and coordinate all meetings/conference calls and manage required follow up that result from the Director's activities, including calendaring/scheduling of meetings; identifying meeting participants; generating agendas; collecting, preparing and distributing appropriate meeting materials; developing necessary memos and correspondence; tracking, monitoring and following up on the progress of projects, action items, and strategies and ensuring that appropriate follow-up actions are taken; initiating subsequent follow-up meetings and communication for key stakeholders as directed; recording events and follow-up via social media (author blog, HASTAC blog, twitter feed).
- Assist the Directors in collaborating with partners at Duke University for HASTAC@Duke, the HASTAC/MacArthur Foundation Digital Media and Learning Competition, and graduate student Praxis alliance events co-sponsored with the Duke University PhD Lab in Digital Knowledge.
- Assist in related duties as may be assigned or delegated as needed to support the Director and to provide services designed to meet the needs of her various audiences/constituents, including planning, researching, and coordinating special projects, compiling reports, and researching and analyzing specific operational procedures and problems as assigned.
- Coordinate the work of Professor Davidson's RA's and Fellows with the Executive Director (HEO), helping to conduct searches and hiring these graduate students and reviewing completed work as necessary.
- Understand organizational policies and procedures necessary to ensure appropriate decision-making protocols are followed.
Bachelor's Degree and four years' relevant experience required.
- Must be highly detail-oriented and comfortable working in an extremely fast-paced environment that is constantly subject to change
- Must be able to multitask independently and be able to meet deadlines, prioritize, and re-prioritize effectively as details shift or crises emerge
- Must be able to maintain the highest professional standards in all situations, maintaining composure and clarity under stress, always acting with tact, confidentiality, and sensitivity to legal issues, propriety, and representation of other parties
- Impeccable organizational and time management skills
- Excellent communications and writing/proofreading/editing skills
- Experience and comfort with a high volume of email (sending/receiving 100+ messages per day)
- High computer proficiency including videoconferencing, WordPress blog posts, and digital literacy (mastery of Microsoft Office suite applications, calendaring software, email clients, and collaborative tools such as Google docs, etc.), as well as interest and/or experience in digital/social media, specifically with regards to social networking, blogging, tweeting, etc.
- Experience with multiple budgets, account reconciliation, and reporting
- Excellent collaborative skills with a large team based at the Graduate Center and with grant partners at Duke University, UCHRI, the MacArthur Foundation, Mozilla, as well as other universities and agencies in the HASTAC network
- Mastery of CUNY First accounting systems and procedures preferred
Commensurate with qualifications and experience.
CUNY offers a comprehensive benefits package to employees and eligible dependents based on job title and classification. Employees are also offered pension and Tax-Deferred Savings Plans. Part-time employees must meet a weekly or semester work hour criteria to be eligible for health benefits. Health benefits are also extended to retirees who meet the eligibility criteria.
HOW TO APPLY
Visit www.cuny.edu, access the employment page, log in or create a new user account, and search for this vacancy using the Job ID or Title. Select "Apply Now" and provide the requested information.
Candidates must attach a resume, cover letter, and three professional references (name, title, organization, and contact information).
July 30, 2014
JOB SEARCH CATEGORY
CUNY Job Posting: Managerial/Professional
EQUAL EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY
We are committed to enhancing our diverse academic community by actively encouraging people with disabilities, minorities, veterans, and women to apply. We take pride in our pluralistic community and continue to seek excellence through diversity and inclusion. EO/AA Employer.