The Wikimedia Foundation is looking for an experienced organizer of international community events to oversee the vision, strategy and execution of key Wikimedia meetings. We are seeking someone who understands the purposes, challenges, and opportunities of events. We are seekaing a team leader to connect different functions and roles across events. The team manager will also explore the opportunities that events may provide and bring them together with a common vision and strategy. This role requires flexibility to travel internationally several times during the year.
The newly formed Events team will bring together event managers currently working in different teams: the organizer of Wikimania, the Wikimedia Hackathon, the Wikimedia Tech Conference, and the support to the Wikimedia Conference and a series of regional events. This team will sit in the Community Engagement department and work closely with Finance and Administration.
As an Events Team Manager, you will:
- Own and implement a coherent vision and strategy to organize and connect Wikimedia’s community events to ensure impactful events and diverse participation.
- Build and manage a team to support this vision, with an eye towards diversity, equity, inclusion and WMF values.
- Own the budgeting and execution of community-facing events organized by the Wikimedia Foundation.
- Define and oversee evaluation efforts, including Key Progress Indicators and other metrics to assess the success of every event and the overall strategy.
- Communicate the work, goals, and outcomes of Wikimedia events to internal and external audiences.
- Work with each key event to define its purpose, intended outcomes, intended participants, goals and connection to other events, as well as any other activities surrounding the main event.
- Explore new opportunities for events to meet key strategic movement goals, such as promoting participation and awareness in underserved communities.
- Design and share best practices for professionals and volunteers involved in the organization of Wikimedia events.
- Support the Community Resources team planning and executing their allocation of grants for events driven by Wikimedia affiliates.
- Partner with Finance & Administration and Legal for all contractual agreements and negotiations allotting internal time needed for risk, cost and liability review by WMF.
- Coordinate with Wikimedia Foundation teams to assure that our staff’s participation matches the needs of every event.
- Maintain the internal calendar of Wikimedia events.
- Participate as a member of the Community Engagement department’s lead management team in planning and resourcing department-wide objectives.
- Coordinate with Wikimedia Foundation's Travel team to discuss and clarify travel needs for each event and participant lists.
- Experience managing a team and its team budget.
- Outstanding organizational and interpersonal communication skills, with an ability to communicate with key stakeholders in styles ranging from precisely detailed to clear and simple, depending on context.
- Experience designing events strategy.
- Experience with metrics and evaluation, especially in the context of events.
- Team player who cares deeply about his/her own work and also helps colleagues succeed.
- Experience sourcing event vendors who are able to meet event and business needs.
- Experience in the organization of events.
- Experience preparing, negotiating and administering events budgets.
- Experience working with or participating in multilingual and multicultural communities.
- Quick-learning and flexible, particularly around online communities and technologies.
- Organized, efficient and able to meet deadlines.
- Emotionally mature and self-reliant; tolerates ambiguity and maintains positive, respectful professional relationships.
- Competence working in teams partially or totally remote in multiple time zones.
- Experience working with volunteers, especially in the context of events.
- Experience organizing online events, stand-alone or in combination with face to face events.
- Experience with event organization tools.
- Experience editing Wikipedia or contributing to other Wikimedia projects.
- Experience working with MediaWiki or another wiki tool.
- Experience working with a Customer Relationship Management tool.
- Experience implementing friendly space event policies.
- Participation in free knowledge projects.
- Fluency in a language or languages in addition to English.
The Wikimedia Foundation is...
...the nonprofit organization that hosts and operates Wikipedia and the other Wikimedia free knowledge projects. Our vision is a world in which every single human can freely share in the sum of all knowledge. We believe that everyone has the potential to contribute something to our shared knowledge, and that everyone should be able to access that knowledge, free of interference. We host the Wikimedia projects, build software experiences for reading, contributing, and sharing Wikimedia content, support the volunteer communities and partners who make Wikimedia possible, and advocate for policies that enable Wikimedia and free knowledge to thrive. The Wikimedia Foundation is a charitable, not-for-profit organization that relies on donations. We receive financial support from millions of individuals around the world, with an average donation of about $15. We also receive donations through institutional grants and gifts. The Wikimedia Foundation is a United States 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organization with offices in San Francisco, California, USA.
The Wikimedia Foundation is an equal opportunity employer, and we encourage people with a diverse range of backgrounds to apply
Benefits & Perks *
- Fully paid medical, dental and vision coverage for employees and their eligible families (yes, fully paid premiums!)
- The Wellness Program provides reimbursement for mind, body and soul activities such as fitness memberships, baby sitting, continuing education and much more
- The 401(k) retirement plan offers matched contributions at 4% of annual salary
- Flexible and generous time off - vacation, sick and volunteer days, plus 19 paid holidays - including the last week of the year.
- Family friendly! 100% paid new parent leave for seven weeks plus an additional five weeks for pregnancy, flexible options to phase back in after leave, fully equipped lactation room.
- For those emergency moments - long and short term disability, life insurance (2x salary) and an employee assistance program
- Pre-tax savings plans for health care, child care, elder care, public transportation and parking expenses
- Telecommuting and flexible work schedules available
- Appropriate fuel for thinking and coding (aka, a pantry full of treats) and monthly massages to help staff relax
- Great colleagues - diverse staff and contractors speaking dozens of languages from around the world, fantastic intellectual discourse, mission-driven and intensely passionate people
* for benefits eligible staff, benefits may vary by location