Dissertation Fellowships - Applications Due March 1, 2011 5:00 pm
The Graduate School awards two full fellowships to Women's Studies each year. Each fellowship carries a nine-month $19,840~ stipend (tuition and fees to be paid by the Graduate School). The intent of these awards is to “buy time” for a doctoral candidate who is past course work and engaged in the early stages of dissertation research. As the fellowships are in Women's Studies, it is assumed that fellowship recipients will devote the year to deepening their knowledge of feminist theory and methods, and exploring interdisciplinary angles on the topics being researched. Graduate students enrolled in the Certificate Program will have priority for these awards.
- Students enrolled as full-time PhD students at Duke University from all areas in the University are eligible to apply.
- The fellowship is for one year only, non-renewable, non-deferrable. The amounts of stipend and fees payments are determined by the Graduate School.
- Recipients must be in residence during the entire 2010-2011 academic year.
- Recipients are expected to participate in community activities that are of mutual benefit to the individual and to Women's Studies, including a presentation of work in progress in the Graduate Scholars Colloquium.
- No other award may be held concurrently with this fellowship without permission from the Dean of the Graduate School, including teaching commitment(s).
- substantial prior scholarly investment in the field of gender, sexuality and/or Women's Studies,
- interest in prioritizing faculty positions in Women's Studies as a potential career trajectory, and
- willingness to be part of the social & intellectual life of the Women's Studies community at Duke.
Priority will be given to candidates at earlier stages of their research, particularly candidates entering their 4th or 5th year of study in the 2011-2012 academic year, although a case for exceptions may also be made.
Electronic submission of the application is highly preferred; please submit to email@example.com.
Subject line to read: (your last name): DISSERTATION app
1. a one-page cover letter
2. a two-page proposal
3. a brief description of Women's Studies courses taken, including faculty and institution
4. a summary of previous funding and possible funding sources for the next year
5. curriculum vitae
7. names of two faculty who know the applicant's work and are willing to serve as references.
Deadline March 1, 2011 5:00 pm
Applications received past the deadline will NOT be considered.
Applications are due Tuesday, March 1, 2011 via email to firstname.lastname@example.org or if electronic submission is NOT possible, in the Women’s Studies office, Melanie Mitchell, Box 90760, 210 East Duke Building, Duke University, Durham NC 27708. A subcommittee of the Women's Studies instructional faculty will select fellowship recipients and applicants will be notified of decisions within 30 days of the deadline. This same information can be found on our website at http://womenstudies.duke.edu/graduate-certificate/fellowships