Director (chief executive) at Digital Promise
Function: General Management / Strategic Planning
Location: Washington, DC
ABOUT THE ORGANIZATION:
Digital Promise is a bipartisan independent 501(c)(3) nonprofit corporation authorized by Congress to accelerate innovation in education. Its statutory mission is “to support a comprehensive research and development program to harness the increasing capacity of advanced information and digital technologies to improve all levels of learning and education, formal and informal, in order to provide Americans with the knowledge and skills needed to compete in the global economy.”
In 1999, the Carnegie Corporation of New York partnered with the Century, Knight, MacArthur, and Open Society foundations to launch the Digital Promise Project to recommend policies that would harness breakthrough technologies to serve the public interest.
In 2008, Digital Promise was formally authorized as the National Center for Research in Advanced Information and Digital Technologies through the Higher Education Opportunity Act, which was signed into law by President George W. Bush. With an initial Board of Directors recommended by Members of Congress and appointed by U.S. Secretary of Education Arne Duncan, Digital Promise was formally launched by President Barack Obama in September 2011 with startup support from the U.S. Department of Education.
Since then, Digital Promise has garnered more than $2.2M in private support and has created the Digital Promise League of Innovative Schools, a coalition of 32 districts in 21 states serving 2.5M students. Through partnerships with start-ups, research institutions, and one another, League districts are committing to demonstrate, evaluate, and scale up innovations that deliver better results for students. Digital Promise has also launched initiatives to develop cloud-based digital curricula resources, research programs, as well as fellowships and prizes to spur innovation inside and outside classrooms across the nation.
ABOUT THE POSITION:
This is an exciting opportunity for a strategic and entrepreneurial leader to harness and promote technology as a primary driver in the transformation of education and learning in the US. Reporting directly to the Board of Directors, the Director will be responsible for setting the vision and strategy for Digital Promise, fulfilling the broader mandate set forth by Congress, building strong coalitions of support, and fundraising to support ambitious growth goals. Key responsibilities:
- Provide vision, direction and oversight for the organization, with the goal of transforming education through technology
- Serve as the public face of the organization, galvanizing all stakeholders (e.g.: partners in philanthropy, government, technology and the education sector) to support the mission and work of Digital Promise
- Develop, oversee and execute on the organization’s fundraising strategy
- Serve as a thought leader and expert on educational technology, explaining the salient issues in the field to broad audiences including those not familiar with technology
- Create and leverage opportunities to build brand awareness to further Digital Promise’s scope, impact, and mission
- Build and strengthen the Digital Promise League of Innovative Schools
- Provide strategic and operational oversight for Digital Promise’s programs and initiatives
- Ensure that the organization is operating efficiently and spending within budget, partnering with financial and accounting professionals
- Oversee the work of the pro bono legal team
- Lead and manage a growing staff of professionals (currently five), ensuring that the organization continues to deliver against its ambitious goals
- Ten or more years of professional experience, with significant experience serving as a senior leader in a related field
- Deep familiarity with the broader education technology landscape; specific expertise in learning technologies and pedagogy, instruction, or learning science required
- Demonstrated success leading and managing an organization through a period of growth, successfully meeting or exceeding organizational targets and driving significant results
- Proven fundraising experience with an ability to work well with individuals, foundations and corporate sponsors strongly preferred
- Exceptional energy and enthusiasm to lead and develop a small organization into a long-lasting institution
- Strong interpersonal skills, with the ability to serve as the organization’s external spokesperson, and develop productive working relationships across a wide variety of individuals and groups both internally and externally
- Exceptional problem-solving skills, with the creativity to develop innovative solutions to fulfill complex mandates
- Experience building and managing a budget and driving financial decision-making
- Bachelor’s degree required, advanced degree in a related field strongly preferred
COMPENSATION AND BENEFITS:
Competitive compensation commensurate with experience, including a comprehensive benefits package.
The Board has engaged On-Ramps, an executive search firm, to conduct a national search for our new Director. If you would like to suggest qualified candidates, please be in touch with our search team of Harry Weiner (email@example.com), Kate Holman (firstname.lastname@example.org) and Angela Remeika (email@example.com). You can view the position description here: http://www.on-ramps.com/jobs/815