UNIVERSITY OF OREGON IN PORTLAND
APRIL 14-16, 2016
*Note: Submission date has been extended to NOVEMBER 16, 2015.
What is media today? How is media studies defined? How have media technologies transformed media theory and practice? What are the futures of media and how are they evolving?
What is Media? Is the sixth in a series of conferences that have explored the past, current and future of various media. With media including a wider and wider range of concepts, products, services, and institutions, the definition of media continues to be in a state of flux. Important questions abound and we will address a sweeping range of issues at the What is Media? event next April in Portland.
The conference will feature a unique coalescing of media scholars, government and community officials, industry professionals, alumni, and students, as well as artists, filmmakers, grassroots community organizations, and the public. The event will feature keynote speakers, roundtables, paper presentations, and special events, in an attempt to answer questions about the ever-evolving nature of media.
We welcome proposals from academics, artists, curators, and others.
2016 JOHNSTON LECTURE:
* John Markoff, Senior Journalist, The New York Times:
"Three Reporting Cultures: Designing Humans In and Out of the Future of Journalism"
PLENARY PANELISTS [MORE TBA]:
* Joanna Zylinska (Goldsmiths, University of London)
* Fred Turner (Stanford University)
* Vincent Mosco (Queen's University, Canada)
* Angela McRobbie (Goldsmiths, University of London)
* Carolyn Marvin (University of Pennsylvania)
* Jerry Mander (Independent Author)
* Colin Koopman (University of Oregon)
* Sean Cubitt (Goldsmiths, University of London)
* Amber Case (Lewis & Clark College Board of Trustees)
* Sandra Braman (Texas A&M University)
Send 100-150 WORD ABSTRACTS for PAPERS, PRESENTATIONS, INSTALLATIONS by NOVEMBER 16, 2015 to:
Janet Wasko: firstname.lastname@example.org
School of Journalism and Communication
University of Oregon, Eugene, OR, 97403-1275, USA
SPECIAL THANKS TO:
Conference Organizers: Janet Wasko (University of Oregon) and Jeremy Swartz (University of Oregon) and Event Sponsors.