Facet Publishing have announced the release of Information Rights for Records Managers by Rachel Maguire, Records Manager and Data Protection Officer at the London School of Economics.
Information Rights is a term covering legislation that allows the request of information from a public sector organisation. This book will help records managers, information managers, archivists and librarians who find themselves with responsibility for managing information rights at their organisations.
Information Rights for Records Managers goes through the big three – Data Protection, Freedom of Information and the Environmental Information Regulations – but also the other legislation in this area that covers how to respond to requests for information. For those acting as an organisation’s expert in this area, this book will point to all the needed legislation.
Content covered includes:
- Freedom of Information – based on the UK and Scottish Acts, how to recognise a request and to how to draft a response
- Data Protection Act (DPA) to General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) – the evolution from managing personal data under the old UK DPA to the new requirements of the GDPR and new UK DPA
- Data Protection requests – managing requests for and relating to personal data from data subjects
- Data Protection enquiries – covers the likely enquiries you will get from staff relating to data protection, including privacy notices and data protection impact assessments
- Environmental Information Regulations – based on the UK and Scottish Regulations, how to recognise and respond to requests for environmental information
- Records management – the basic methods of managing records so that you can easily respond to information rights requests
- Resources – links to the resources available online to help you with your information rights work.
The book will be useful reading for anyone who has responsibility, or is interested in taking on responsibility, for managing information rights in organisations including records managers, archivists, librarians and information managers. Its introductory nature will also mean that it will be very useful students and new professionals seeking to increase their knowledge.
Rachael Maguire is the Records Manager and Data Protection Officer at the London School of Economics, covering records management, data protection and freedom of information. She has been working in the fields of information management and information rights for two decades, mainly in the public sector. She has a Masters in Information Rights Law, is a Fellow of the Information and Records Management Society (IRMS) and on the Accreditation Sub Committee of the IRMS, as well as on the Editorial Board of the Records Management Journal.
Information Rights for Records Managers | 224pp | paperback: 9781783302444 | £69.95 | hardback: 9781783302451 | £139.95 | eBook: 9781783302468
The book is published by Facet Publishing and is available from Bookpoint Ltd | Tel: +44 (0)1235 827702 | Fax: +44 (0)1235 827703 | Email: email@example.com | Web: www.facetpublishing.co.uk. | Mailing Address: Mail Order Dept, 39 Milton Park, Abingdon, Oxon OX14 4TD. It is available in North America from the American Library Association.