New from Facet Publishing: Managing Metadata in Web-scale Discovery Systems edited by Louise F. Spiteri, Dalhousie University.
Libraries are increasingly using web-scale discovery systems to help clients find a wide assortment of library materials, including books, journal articles, special collections, archival collections, videos, music and open access collections. Depending on the library material catalogued, the discovery system might need to negotiate different metadata standards, such as AACR, RDA, RAD, FOAF, VRA Core, METS, MODS, RDF and more.
With this new book, you can harness the power of linked data and web-scale discovery systems to manage and link widely varied content across your library collection.
Editor Louise Spiteri and a range of international experts show you how to:
- maximize the effectiveness of web-scale discovery systems
- provide a smooth and seamless discovery experience to your users
- help users conduct searches that yield relevant results
- manage the sheer volume of items to which you can provide access, so your users can actually find what they need
- maintain shared records that reflect the needs, languages, and identities of culturally and ethnically varied communities
- manage metadata both within, across, and outside, library discovery tools by converting your library metadata to linked open data that all systems can access
- manage user generated metadata from external services such as Goodreads and LibraryThing
- mine user generated metadata to better serve your users in areas such as collection development or readers’ advisory.
The book will be essential reading for cataloguers, technical services and systems librarians and library and information science students studying modules on metadata, cataloguing, systems design, data management, and digital libraries. It will also be of interest to those managing metadata in archives, museums and other cultural heritage institutions.
Press and review copies contact:
James Williams, Marketing & Sales Manager, Facet Publishing
Tel: +44 (0)20 7255 0597
Managing Metadata in Web-scale Discovery Systems | May 2016 | 188pp | Paperback; 9781783300693; £54.95
About the authors:
Dr Louise Spiteri is Director of the School of Information Management, Dalhousie University, Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada. Dr. Spiteri has published extensively in the areas of social tagging, folksonomies, social discovery systems, and library cataloguing. Dr. Spiteri teaches in the areas of information management, metadata, records management, cataloguing, classification, and taxonomies.
The book is published by Facet Publishing and is available from Bookpoint Ltd | Tel: +44 (0)1235 827702 | Fax: +44 (0)1235 827703 | Email: email@example.com | Web: www.facetpublishing.co.uk. | Mailing Address: Mail Order Dept, 39 Milton Park, Abingdon, Oxon OX14 4TD. It is available in North America from the American Library Association.