As you may have seen in Inside Higher Ed, Duke has released a report summarizing data on course registration, participation and completion in its first Coursera MOOC, Bioelectricity: A Quantitative Approach.
- Over 12,000 students enrolled, representing more than 100 countries. Approximately 8,000 of these students logged in during the first week.
- At the time of enrollment, one-third of enrolled students held less than a four year degree, one third held a Bachelors or equivalent, and one-third held an advanced degree.
- The number of students actively participating plateaued at around 1000 per week.
- 25% of students who took both Week 1 quizzes successfully completed the course, including 313 students from at least 37 countries. Course completers typically held a Bachelor’s degree or higher; however, at least 10 pre-college students were among those who successfully completed this challenging upper level undergraduate course.
- Most students reported a positive learning experience and rated the course highly, including ones who did not complete all requirements