Call for Papers: HASTAC 2013 -- The Decennial
April 25-28, 2013
York University, Toronto, Canada
Submissions will be accepted online: October 5 - November 15, 2012
What’s next? 2013 marks the 10th anniversary of HASTAC’s founding. In that spirit we invite work that is either reflective or prescient, that evaluates our history and seeks to construct our future(s). We invite you to take this opportunity to look back, theorize and archive. We invite you to engage in the creative, if impossible, attempt to glimpse the digital future. We challenge you to shape it. We invite you to share how you, your team, your research lab, your classroom, or your students are building the technologies and subjects of the future right now or imagining new horizons of possibility for the ways in which we will make, teach, learn and find community in the coming decade(s).
Possible topics include:
- HASTAC histories
- historical roots of current practices; cautionary tales
- libraries and preservation in 2023; digital traces and archives
- new publics, movements going global and communities of the future
- manifestos for the next generation
- new stories for new screens: e-literatures, immersive/augmented worlds, future cinema, games
- ways of working – methodologies, code, communities, funding
- future classrooms, curricula, and pedagogies
- maker movements; -- tools we haven't built yet, but that we desperately need
- visualization and data-driven futures
- mobility, future city spaces, built and liquid architectures
- crowdsourcing (and/in) the future
- teleologies and their discontents
- new and imagined creative practices
HASTAC 2013 will be composed of keynote addresses, structured conversations, a curated exhibition, participant presentations, performances and tech demos, spontaneous disruptions, and a Scholars’ Space.
We will accept proposals for participant presentations in the following categories:
- 5-8 minute lightning talks
- 15-20 minute talks
- curated panels (lightning talks, longer talks, curated conversation)
- project demos
- digital and/or print posters
- creative performances
- post-conference workshops (April 28th).
Full submission details will be at www.hastac2013.org
All proposals will be reviewed, but we regret that we cannot provide reviewer feedback. We welcome applications from scholars at all stages of their careers from all disciplines and fields, from private sector companies and public sector organizations, from artists and public intellectuals, and from you.
Follow us on twitter: HASTAC2013 Conference hashtag: #HASTAC2013
This is how one pictures the angel of history. His face is turned toward the past.
Where we perceive a chain of events, he sees one single catastrophe that keeps
piling ruin upon ruin and hurls it in front of his feet.
The angel would like to stay, awaken the dead, and make whole what has been smashed.
But a storm is blowing from Paradise; it has got caught in his wings
with such violence that the angel can no longer close them.
The storm irresistibly propels him into the future to which his back is turned,
while the pile of debris before him grows skyward. This storm is what we call progress.
-- Walter Benjamin