Design Lab. Istanbul, Koc University
Industrial PhD Grant in Interaction Design
Ref number: MAVA / 2011-001
Employment: Time-limited employment
Closing date for application: 2011-05-31
Campus location: Istanbul Rumelifeneri
Koc University in Istanbul, is an expansive university with a strong focus on interaction design. the School of MediaVisual Arts is a research intensive environment.The research will take place within Design Lab. Istanbul at the School of Media and Visual Arts, in collaboration with the School of Computer Science Koc University (KU), Istanbul Rumelifeneri Campus. Design Lab. Istanbul aims to develop research on future media, product and space.
The Schools offer education and carry out research within computer science and design in close cooperation with IT industry. The development of the individual’s knowledge and ability to analyze, understand and handle different aspects of IT and interaction design is at focus. Regardless of the application, an artistic design perspective, and programming based on interactivity, are central issues.
This PhD position, within School of Media and Visual Arts is financed by KocSistem in Istanbul. As a pioneering organization of the IT sector in Turkey, KocSistem offers a full range of services for business and network applications. Over the years, KocSistem has collaborated with some of the biggest industry partners including Intel, Microsoft, SAP as well as various cross the industries such as Ford, Fiat and Arcelik.
As a PhD student you are employed by KocSistem and will receive a salary according to current salary agreements. A maximum of 20% of your time will be devoted to departmental duties in School of Media and Visual Arts, mainly teaching. The remaining time will be devoted to your own graduate studies and research within the project related to KocSistem. You are expected to obtain a PhD within a maximum of 4 years.
Only someone who can be or already has been enrolled for PhD studies at a university can be employed at this PhD position. The requirement for being qualified for PhD studies is to have at least four years of university studies, corresponding to a Master’s degree.
Admittance to the post-graduate education will be handled in conjunction with the employment procedure. In general anyone who has graduated with a Bachelor’s or Master's degree with a major in Computer Engineering or Computer Science is eligible as graduate student in Computer Science. Students with corresponding qualifications, for instance from similar programs at other universities, may also be admitted.
The focus of the Bachelor’s and Master’s degree should be on interaction design. The interest in and capability of doing research work is a basic demand. A good Master’s thesis, research project’s output and/or publications with research focus can add extra value to the application. Experience of creative practice and programming is preferable. It is an advantage if the applicant has artistic experiences and/or graphic design skills.
The applicant should have proficiency and skills in writing and communicating in English. Knowledge in Turkish is not a prerequisite for this position. The start of this position is planned for September 19th, 2011.
Please send following document to us:
1. Application Form (http://gsse.ku.edu.tr/application-forms)
2. Personal and Educational Background Information (CV)
3. Recommendation Letters (3 for PhD)
4. TOEFL Requirement (for those whose native language is not English)
(New Internet Based: Minimum Score 80 ; Computer Based: Minimum Score 213 ;Paper Based: Minimum Score 550
5. ALES scores (required for all Turkish nationals)
6. GRE scores (required from Foreign students; optional for Turkish students)
7. Official transcripts from all the universities attended
8. Statement of Purpose
9. Areas of Interest
10. Application fee of (35 TL or 20 USD or 15 Euro) must be paid to one of the below account numbers. Please indicate student name and 'GSSE Yuk.Lisans' explanation in the payment. Please include your bank receipt in your application pack.
· TL Account Details: 35 TL Application fee, Account number: 386235, Yapi Kredi Bank, Koc University Branch.
· USD Account Details: 20 USD Application fee, Yapi Kredi Bank, Koc University Branch, Swift Code: YAPITRIS, Account Number: 00540749, IBAN Code: TR500006701000000000540749
· EURO Account Details: 15 EURO Application fee, Yapi Kredi Bank, Koc University Branch, Swift Code: YAPITRIS, Account Number: 05437105, IBAN Code: TR290006701000000005437105
Promising candidates will be called for an interview before a final decision is reached on their application. The application shall preferably be sent electronically as PDF by e-mail to the address: email@example.com indicating reference number on subject line in e-mail. The applicants name and the reference number (MAVA/2011-001) must be also written on the first page of the application.
You can also send your application by surface mail but we suggest you to use an e-mail application.
For any question for application please contact to Oguzhan Ozcan, firstname.lastname@example.org
However application must sent electronically as PDF by e-mail to the address: email@example.com, otherwise your application cannot be processed.