Learn About Self-Control, Racism, Gender, Much More: Introducing Self-Paced Open Courseware (SPOC)
Move Over MOOC! Here Comes the SPOC! This Self-Paced Open Courseware (SPOC) is free, to anyone, anywhere, anytime!
Featuring two of Duke’s leading professors—behavioral economist Dan Ariely and teachnology and education innovator Cathy Davidson--#Duke Surprise is a fully open series of seven “mini-courses” that allow you to learn as little or much as you want about:
- Self control
- Relativity and Defaults
- Obedience, Evil, and Resistance
- Race, Prejudice, and Political Correctness
- Social Proof
- Gender and Success
- Honesty and Dishonesty
Each mini-course includes:
- Videos featuring Professors Ariely and Davidson, along with guest speakers
- Suggested readings, including articles, books, videos (to watch) and websites
- Self-guided student-created “mini course” on the topic, including apps, games, videos, surveys, interviews, and even a fairy tale!
- Blog posts between students, professors and public participants discussing the issues for each mini-course
For teachers or students (of any age) interested in peer-to-peer learning, #DukeSurprise also has a toolkit with explanatory videos for how to make your own SPOC, as well as templates for all the peer-to-peer teaching tools used during the SPOC, including a grade contract, peer feedback forms, a peer-badging exercise, and peer grading sheets.
This is a full, college-level independent study course remixed by Duke students and available to anyone who wants to learn or download and use the units in classes.
Remix #dukesurprise any way you want! And let us know the result.